It’s the Fourth of July! A day when Americans across the nation celebrate our independence with flags, hot dogs, watermelon, and fireworks. We join in the fun of course with a mix of all of these traditions and a few of our own.
This year my mindset is a little different as we just returned from an official Military Memorial to honor my father-in-law who passed away recently.
I had never experienced anything like this kind of event: the formality, the great honor, the 21-gun salute, and taps played on dual trumpets. It was so touching and inspiring, I was awed and heartbroken all at the same time.
Although this kind of post might be more appropriate for Memorial Day, I think the topic is just as important when celebrating our Independence and honoring our brave service men and women who serve our country.
Charity Navigator posted a list of their most highly rated organizations that support our troops. There were several missions that resonated with me personally and I invite you to check them out:
- Fisher House – Providing lodging for families during hospitalization or illness
- Homes for Our Troops – Providing adaptive housing for severely injured Veterans
- Our Military Kids – Supporting children when parents are deployed or injured
- Snowball Express – Providing a five-day event for children of fallen heros
- Southeastern Guide Dogs – Training and providing guide dogs for visually impaired service members
When gazing at those beautiful fireworks, I’ll also be breathing a word of thanks for our brave troops. I hope you have a happy and safe Fourth of July holiday!
For more insight into our Military Memorial service, see my review on Yelp for the Great Lakes National Cemetery.