It was great to support World Humanitarian Day in August but how about focusing on some issues right in our own backyard? Starting on September 1, I hope you’ll join me in “taking action” for Hunger Action Month to support hunger relief in our communities and nationwide.
As a staff member for a local food bank, we see the rising need for emergency food as families struggle to make ends meet with the skyrocketing cost of fuel and groceries, unemployed individuals who continue to search for work, and seniors that wrestle with the sad choice of paying for food or medicine. Most recently, cuts to federal, state and local budgets have resulted in longer lines at food pantries and soup kitchens.
But for 30 days in September, we can make a difference!
The Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina provides a plethora of tools to help raise food, funds and awareness for Hunger Action Month. Check out the Hunger Action Month “Take Action” Calendar, help raise awareness by “Going Orange” with great social media and food drive tips, make a donation or attend a local event such as the 24-Hour Telethon!
The Telethon is an exciting LIVE event that will stream for 24 straight hours on the Food Bank website starting on Friday, September 13 at noon. You can learn more by visiting www.foodbank24.org or check out the promotional video that I did with some of our awesome Telethon volunteers:
We’ve been working on the planning of the 24 Hour Telethon for months and have a super line up of great activities:
- Starting at noon on September 13, a Food Truck Rodeo at the Food Bank warehouse in Raleigh
- A “Sports Fan” Food Drive from 3-6 pm
- The Social Media Mixer featuring great food, prizes & activities, from 6-8:30 pm
- Live music from 9-11 pm
- “Midnight Madness” volunteer event from 12am-2am
- Swing, Salsa and Line Dance lessons from Music & Dance Productions from 2am-3am
- Cackalacky Spice Sauce BBQ from 3am-5am: free sandwich for any onsite donations!
- Early-Bird Breakfast with treats from Chef Mario
- Sunrise Yoga with Blue Lotus Studios & Martial Arts Board Breaking with Ladd Family Studios
- Grand Finale at 11 am!
All this AND special surprises such as magicians, clowns and celebrity appearances. View the full schedule.
If you’re outside of central & eastern North Carolina, I encourage you to contact the food bank in your region to participate in Hunger Action Month and help needy families, seniors, and individuals throughout our nation that need a little hand up during these difficult times. You can find more information at hungeractionmonth.org.