That’s right folks: the NC State Fair is back! Today I had the absolute pleasure of being a guest at the NC State Fair Media Preview on behalf of the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina. It is a delight to listen to the NCDA press team share all of the new features for the year, and I can assure you, this year will not disappoint!
- LaFarm Bakery is serving up warm White Chocolate Mini-Baguettes on a stick and you don’t want to miss them! It’s a melt-in-your-mouth extraordinary experience and the French chef assured me that dessert before lunch is better. Delish.
- LaFarm will also be serving up scrumptious Pimento Cheese Sandwiches… holy cow. To die for. Must try. The LaFarm food truck will be located outside the “Agriculture Today” exhibit near gate 1.
- The latest and greatest deep-fried delicacy will be served up by Ragin Cajun: a Deep Fried Bananas Foster with a scoop of vanilla drizzled in homemade caramel sauce and topped with a cherry. Totally out of this world! Ragin Cajun can be found along the busy fried food strip, just outside of the grandstand, about mid-way.
- Two other tempting treats: a deep-fried bacon wrapped Reese’s Peanut Butter cup and a deep-fried bacon-twinkie-twix combo. Fascinating taste sensation! These will be served up by Murphy House, also outside of the grandstand about mid-way.
- Don’t miss the Got to Be NC Ag Exhibit… they’ll have a Culinary Food Truck serving up some super tasty treats: BBQ stuffed bacon wrapped jalapenos and cajun-seared catfish sliders to name just a few.
- And if you can find Miss Debbie’s Specialty Apples, try the cookie crumble/white chocolate/drizzled with salted caramel apple. Out of this world!
Use the Fair Food & Ride Finder to locate your favs!
- Miss Amanda and her team with “Down to Earth Aerials” will by flying high on silk fabrics doing some amazing acrobatics. They’ll be outdoors on the north Dorton Arena lawn everyday at 1 and 5 pm.
- Also on the north side of Dorton Area, look for Roberto the Magnificent who will be juggling on a unicycle!
- In the Kiddeieland Fun Park? Look for the Farmer Phil Show featuring juggling, yo-yo routines and magic, Izzi the face-painting fairy and the Neon Anteaters… a roaming purple & blue stilt walking doling out “slurpy kisses.”
- Head over to the Folk Festival tent at 7:30 to check out Brad Matchett, a comedy hypnotist
- Concerts at the Dorton Arena include Vanilla Ice, Joan Jett, Clay Walker, Parmalee and many others.
“Year of the Horse” – In partnership with the NC Horse Council, the fair will be offering some extra special equine activities!
- Free 5-minute horseback riding lessons every day at the Horse Hunt Complex. Times vary… check this listing.
- Other horse shows include the “Magic of the Mustang”, “America’s Favoriate Trail Horse”, trick riders, Arabian costume shows and working dog demonstrations
Savings! – Looking to save a few bucks? Consider these options…
- Thursday, October 16 at 3 pm is Preview Day. Snag an unlimited-ride wristband for $28 and have a ball!
- Senior citizens receive free admission every day, but on Tuesday, October 21 they can enjoy a free Bojangles breakfast and entertainment at the Dorton Arena
- Of course, my favorite day of all, Food Lion Hunger Relief Day on October 23! Bring five cans of food for free admission. I’ll be at Gate 8 with our volunteers from 3 pm to 10 pm… come and see me!
Plus, don’t forget that every night, there will be fireworks at 9:45 pm!